Tuesday, May 06, 2008

LibraryThing

I've had a LibraryThing account for a long time, but haven't done much with it due to the tedium of entering in all the books. I played around more with it today, and ran smack into a serious problem they have - there's no good way of indicating when a book has more than one author so that you can search on either author's name and get the book. There's an Other Authors section hidden in the Details link for the book, but those names don't get indexed with the Author name, and thus don't get searched in an Author or Works search.

And why this really torques me off is that the comics my writer and I self-published are in Library Thing, thanks to people who bought copies entering them, but you can't find them by searching on my name. You have to know her name or the title to get them.*

The LT database has been bootstrapped and jury-rigged from its beginnings, and it's rather obvious that the originators didn't think about books with more than one author (what about anthologies, too? wouldn't you like to search for stories by an author that have been anthologized?). And as I created a minimal library catalog in a programming class that had the capability for more than one author in it, I have NO SYMPATHY.

ETA: Thing 16


* I'm not telling you which ones they are. You'll have to exercise your Library Ingenuity to find them. If you really desperately want them I'll give a free copy to any of my co-workers who find them on LT, but keep in mind that you probably don't want to read them. :) One's rated R and one's rated PG-13 and they are BOTH very much NOT FOR KIDS.

A slight hint that probably won't really help you is that my writer is an Actual Professional Published Writer Person whose memoirs are also in LibraryThing.

No comments: