Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Thing 19

I've used Google Docs extensively in recent months. My writer (remember my LibraryThing post?) emails me scripts in Word and as I don't have Word on my laptop, I upload them to Google Docs to make notes on and send back to her. We've also just finished editing an anthology of fiction set in the world of one of the comics. We ran out of time to get the sequel to the comic drawn and printed before this year's A-Kon, so instead we put together a small illustrated chapbook containing five stories to tide over all the people who keep stopping by our A-Kon table and asking for a sequel. XD

Anyway, each of us who contributed a story shared it on GoogleDocs for editing by someone else. You can insert notes into a file with different colors and name/timestamps as you edit, and you can make new versions of the files as you rewrite. And when all the edits were done, my writer formatted them all to be consistent, and I grabbed them from Google Docs and created the book's layout. (Which took me all Sunday and Monday, and I had a migraine during the whole process, which is why I'm extra-cranky today. :P)

No comments: